springbok coach

In an attempt to level the playing fields and assist the Springboks in avoiding an embarrassing home test series loss, the International Rugby Board (IRB) has made an unprecedented decision.

The Springboks suffered a devastating 20 – 26 defeat at the hand of Ireland in the first test at DHL Newlands last Saturday.

This, after the visitors played with 14 men for just less than 60 minutes of the match.

It was new Springbok coach Allister Coetzee’s first match in charge of the Springboks.

“We know Springbok selection is governed by strict quota requirements, so we felt the need to step in and do something to restrict the visiting team too,” said IRB spokesperson Basil Wideball.

Wideball said the IRB had been in discussion with the Irish Rugby Football Union and an amicable agreement had been reached.

Wideball explained, “Ireland will be restricted to 14 men for the first of the second test at Emirate Airlines Park on Saturday.”

Wideball said depending on the score after 40 minutes, Ireland might be forced to remove another player for the second half.

“We don’t have an exact score deficit in mind just yet for the half time decision, but we’ll discuss it with both coaches during the break,” Wideball said.

The Springboks have not lost a test series at home in 19 years and have never lost one to Ireland.

#newsbyrory

If you think I’m funny SMS 53725 to 37303 (R1,50) and you could win a VIP trip to Savanna Comics Choice Awards. Details at www.comicschoice.com.

epkingsEP Kings players and the union’s management have been in conflict for several months regarding delays in salaries.

It is believed the players had not been paid for at least six months before a plan was made by the union.

There appears to be an issue once again with the players’ August salaries, and the union has now approached the fans for help.

EP President Cheeky Watson says, “It is no secret my players are struggling to put food on the table and we cannot have this. We are asking the fans who support us to help out wherever they can.”

Watson was speaking from the presidential suite at Grosvenor House in Dubai where the union’s management are having a two-week brain storming session.

Watson said the union had decided to follow similar protocol to restaurants, where fans would be urged to pay a gratuity when leaving the stadium.

“We cannot afford to pay our players, but we also cannot have them looking in bins for food, so it is up to our loyal fans to put their hands in their pockets for a change,” said Watson.

EP Kings captain Luke Watson
EP Kings captain Luke Watson

Watson’s son Luke has not even been able to purchase a razor in almost two years.

EP Kings CEO Charl Crous said fans would each be encouraged to pay at least 20% of the loss deficit per match.

“So, if we lose by 100 points, for instance, fans would be encouraged to drop R20 in the tins at the exit. The stadium cleaning staff would take 5% of all takings, leaving the players with the rest,” Crous said.

Crous said he believed the initiative would prevent an imminent player strike.

Fans are also encouraged to leave tins of food as well as old clothing and blankets in specially marked bins located all over the stadium.

The EP Kings are struggling in the ABSA Currie Cup Premier Division, having lost four out of four so far in this year’s competition.

#newsbyrory